Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Burress suspended

What the heck is this about?

I understand he protested in the offseason and didn't particpate in mini-camp because he got a new contract. Now he got the extension and big raise and he pulls this?

The bad news is that it could disturb the chemistry and good feelings that Coughlin worked so hard to build by adjusting his relationship with the players. Players may look at Burress action as a minor indiscretion and this is a return of the "same old Coughlin" who comes down hard on the players.

Or - they could say Coughlin is not practicing what he is preaching. By suspending Burress, he is not sticking to his "team-first" philosophy. Team is worse without Burress and Coughlin is putting his "rules" ahead of the team. How important is it to attend meetings in a bye week? It could have been a misunderstanding by Burress and it could really disrupt the team.

8 comments:

Pelc said...

I think it's impossible to know what to think about the suspension without knowing why he was unavailable. If he came out and said, "it's a bye week I just wanted off" then I guess he deserves a suspension. I assume, though, that his excuse was at least somewhat legitimate. Either way, I would be more concerned about team chemistry and the overall relationship with Coughlin if it was somebody other than Plax, who appears to be somewhat of a loner and not the type of guy the team would really rally around. But I could be wrong about that.

All of that said, this is just annoying. I'm more than a little concerned about the Seattle game now.

Jarred said...

I guess Coughlin felt he had to put team first here. Hixon will probably get the start. I wonder if he would have suspended him if Dallas was our next opponent instead of Seattle.

sfw said...

Why does half the world pronounce Plaxico as Plexico?

DarrenW said...

I'm not gonna lie - I'm kind of excited to see Hixon step into Burress's shoes as the starter (or will it be Toomer and Smith? Either way Hixon will be on the field). I wonder if Hixon has been decent as a 3rd option, as defenses are focused on PlExico or if he's actually a good WR...I guess we'll find out.

Ira said...

I can only assume that when the front office, inked flakixo's contract they thought they'd be accomplishing two things; #1Locking up one of the best, if not THE best WR in Giants history (sorry Phillip Joseph McConkey) to a long term deal and #2 Creating an environment where Plax wouldn't be a distraction to the team because once he got paid would shut up and continue to put up pro bowl numbers on a week to week basis...and then this. Perhaps this is why they're coming down so hard on him during a time when things where going so well in the clubhouse. This is a slap in the face to the team, fans and organization. Of course if this turns out to be the same situation as Eddie Murphy got himself into a few years back, then all is forgiven. Any chance we see a press conference with Burress doing pushups in his driveway in the next day or 2?

DarrenW said...

Every good team needs 1 crazy person - it gives them 'street-cred'. We got rid of Shockey so someone needs to pick up the slack. The Patriots have Moss, the Cowgirls have TO, the Eagles have Dawkins...we got Plax.

sfw said...

certainly plax filling the role of team kook now that r.w. mcquarters and the hair are gone.

Unknown said...

DarrenW : good point about getting a replacement for Shockey in the "I'm crazy but I love to compete" department. I hope we don't find someone to replace Shockey in the "I'm really talented but always injured"

wm