Thursday, October 30, 2008

Plaxico drinks the Coughlin Kool-Aid

Well, it's not exactly complete contrition or a guilt ridden mea culpa asking forgiveness from his coach and teammates issued by Plaxico, but he did at least 'fess up a little bit. I'll quote: "Everybody can be better, you can make better choices just kind of think things over". Later he added: "I'm human. I've made some mistakes, I haven't made the best of decisions. I'm the first one to look myself in the mirror and be honest with myself"

Some could scoff at it and say that it was a canned, insincere statement encouraged by his agent. Others could bemoan the fact that he didn't sufficiently belittle or deprecate himself, didn't grovel enough and didn't throw himself on the mercy of the court. I disagree. I think it was a huge step for Plaxico and if he more or less toes the line and actually shows up to meetings, practices and rehab sessions more or less on time for the rest of the year, this will cease to be an issue.

Let's get some balance and perspective here - Plaxico did not violate any egregious personal codes of conduct. He's not shooting people in a Vegas strip joint like the CB formerly known as Pacman Jones. He's not getting drunk and fighting with his bodyguard like that same old aforementioned Pacman dude. He's not assaulting or spitting at women like KC RB Larry Johnson. He's not violating the law and getting suspended like half the Bengals roster. He's not getting suspended by the league because of brawling in the streets outside of a strip club in Miami like Vikings Bryant McKinnie. And he's not being suspended for doing drugs, steroids or other performance enhancing stuff. And - he's not calling out his coach or fighting with teammates like Steve Smith did in Carolina.

I'm not saying what Plaxico did is good. He's got to come to practice, show up for rehab etc. I'm just saying that the punishment should fit the crime. What he did was not so egregious and he recognized that he did the wrong thing by his statement. Having done so is sufficient for his teammates and (I hope) the coaches. Giants are a good team without him, but he is the only unstoppable force on this offense. We need him to make the Giants reach the heights.

If Coughlin wanted to make things really right, he should take a conciliatory step also. He should talk to Plaxico personally and he should issue a public statement something to the effect of: "I spoke with Plaxico personally and what we discussed will remain between the player and the coach. I just want to stress the fact that even though we had these minor disagreements about team rules, they are largely internal team matters. Plaxico is a fine young man, who is dedicated to his craft, works hard and is a respected and loved teammate. We are moving forward and hope we can put this behind us"

I think I'm quitting my job and going into public relations.

No comments: